Saturday, January 17, 2015

Home

Took a well deserved day off today after finally learning how this site works and the difference between pages and posts :) I am not a slow learner but when I started this business there were only a handful of people doing quality leather work and I was swamped.  I am grateful that there are so many talented craftsmen and women out there now and that people are choosing handmade over corporate trash.  I am really looking forward to 2015.  The Forge is built me and my buddy Kurt just need to find a serviceable anvil to work on after we broke the primitive one we used to forge two primitive belt buckles.  I am looking forward to making things out of metal it has been a dream of mine for several years now.

As far as leather work goes I hope to have an updated bike bag up soon that combines all of the knowledge I have learned over the last 5 years of making leather goods.  I also hope to soon be offering strops and promoting straight razor shaving as an alternative to disposable razors.  Straight razors are a true joy to use; it is a shame they have fallen out of popularity and only have a cult following here in the US.  I am looking forward to Spring and removing this giant mound of hair from my face!  It is to difficult to pedicab in the Winter with out "man made" insulation!

Looking forward to March to get some potato and pea plots planted.  Super stoked to try out the Native American Three Sisters gardening method.  Very excited for year two of The Banana Bike; can't wait for the warm weather and the healing rays of our Father the Sun.

Holly and I watched a movie today called The Last Mountain; and I urge you to check it out.  It is a documentary film (the best kind) raising awareness about the removal of mountain tops in the beautiful state of West Virginia in the Appalachian Mountain Range by coal companies.  The ravaging of pure natural resources and pollution of the planet for corporate profit to continue to operate things the barbaric way they have been.  It is a very enlightening film.  I don't often spend time watching movies and killed my television almost 20 years ago; but it would be worth your time to watch.  Did you know that Canada did away with all of their coal burning power plants in 2014 or that wind power could be a sustainable non polluting power source?  I for one am vowing to cut my already meager electric bill in as many ways as possible this year.  Feel free to share some of your energy saving tips.
My #1 priority to re read in 2015

Almost a decade ago I visited Walden Pond after reading Thoreau and found a warning sign stating it was unsafe to drink the water.  I drank it anyway. It was good.  It is sickening that corporate greed has polluted every single pure source of fresh water in this country.  The "conveniences" of "modern" day living are NOT more valuable than the clean air and water our native peoples worshiped.  Humans have survived happily for many thousands of years without polluting our natural resources.  It is absurd that our "modern" civilization is so wreck less.  We can only pray and toil so that one day our land may once again be pure and that the apocalyptic Mad Max fictional stories do not become a reality. 

What are you excited for in 2015?  What are some ways you feel can help your community?  I wish you luck in all of your endeavors. 

Best regards,
Bill


No comments:

Post a Comment